Last Updated on 27 December 2021 by Okyanus Hukuk
Turkey is a country that receives immigration due to tourism, education, investment and work, and also gives a large number of immigrants abroad. People coming to Turkey from abroad wonder whether it is possible to bring their vehicles to Turkey in the country they live in, and the legal procedure to be followed in the process of bringing a vehicle. With the regulations made by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Turkey, Procedures for foreigners to bring vehicles from their own country to Turkey are expressed. In this direction, with the 2009 Council of Ministers Decision, it is possible for the people who do not reside in the Customs Territory of Turkey to bring the vehicles registered to their names in the country they currently live in, to Turkey for a certain period of time. However, Procedures for foreigners in Turkey to bring vehicles from their own country to Turkey subject to certain conditions.
Foreigners Bringing Vehicles from Their Own Country to Turkey
In order for foreigners to bring vehicles registered in their name to Turkey, the person must first be residing in the country where the vehicle in question is registered. After this prerequisite, the following conditions must also be met:
- The owner of the vehicle must be in the country where the vehicle is registered for at least 185 days in the last 1 year from the date the vehicle will enter Turkey.
- It is not possible for those who have been in Turkey for more than 180 days in the last 1 year from the date of entry to Turkey to bring a vehicle.
- The vehicle to be brought to Turkey must be registered in the country of residence and on the person who brought the vehicle.
- If a vehicle is brought by proxy, both the person to bring the vehicle and the owner of the vehicle must be outside the Customs Territory of Turkey.
- During the entry of the vehicle to be brought to Turkey; Driver’s license, certificate of foreign ownership and valid insurance policy must be presented.
For people who have retired abroad, the condition of being abroad for 185 days in the past is not required for those who bring their vehicle for the first time. Retirees and employees can keep the vehicle they bring to Turkey by meeting the necessary conditions for a maximum of 730 days.
Violation and Penalty of Staying Time in Turkey for Vehicles Brought from Abroad
If the vehicles brought to Turkey from abroad violate their stay in Turkey, a fine will be imposed. The penalty in question for 2021 is as follows:
- 346 TL in case of exceeding 1 month
- 692 TL in case of exceeding 2 months
- 1038 TL in case of exceeding 3 months
A fine amounting to one fourth of the customs tax amount of the relevant vehicle is foreseen for the exceeding of 3 months. It would be appropriate to seek legal support from an experienced lawyer in order not to take any faulty or negligent action during the process of bringing a vehicle from abroad, and not to be fined for violations.